“Over the last decade social media play a seminal role in the development of innovative marketing practices across different types of organizations. These innovations have radically changed markets, consumer expectations, and how marketing is organised and implemented. Critically discuss how social media are employed for the development of digital marketing and promotional strategies by a) drawing on relevant academic theories and b) using relevant examples from an organization of your choice.”
Approaching the question
A full answer to the question will require reflection on the issues that you have encountered
throughout the module. It is important to bear in mind that the content of your answer will depend on the argument that you wish to put forward in answer to the question and not solely on the concepts that the question explicitly identifies. You will be expected to relate theories related to marketing, strategy and social media from the module to the assignment topic and make appropriate recommendations, thus showing an understanding of strategic/digital marketing principles and practice.
- You are expected to demonstrate an understanding of marketing theories and practice. You
have to demonstrate evidence of reading and understanding of how social media shape promotional strategies and apply these views to an example of an organization with which you are familiar. In terms of word limitations 50% of your assignment should a) draw upon relevant academic theories and you have to use 50% so as to use an example b) from an organization of your choice. The organization can be a small, medium sized, a non-for-profit organization or a large corporation.
- Please remember that your assignment should NOT be structured around your own opinions and experiences from marketing practices but you should use relevant academic theories which assist you to critically discuss the assignment question above.
- Although it makes sense to look for concepts and authors discussed in your core module text that you can apply to the assignment, you will be expected to draw upon library readings (e.g. academic and trade journals, beyond your main textbooks) to support your answer. Keep in mind that one of the key criteria for assessing this piece of work is evidence of reading, understanding and discussing relevant academic theories.
- This means that if you make an argument or a point about something related to marketing practice, it should be backed up with a citation from a good reference that shows how prior research suggests that your point is valid one.
- Students who do this intelligently, and from a broad a range of (ideally academic) sources as possible, will have the opportunity to gain a high mark.
- In the Introduction, you should set out your main themes and intentions: describe the issue you are addressing, identify its main components, and indicate what you are going to do in the body of your essay.
- Break down your arguments into smaller parts – use this as a basis for the main Discussion part of your essay that will then be divided up into several sections or paragraphs (you may want to have a sub-heading title for each section of the question).
- Summarise your arguments briefly in a Conclusion. What is the main significance and implications of what you have been saying?
- Make sure you read your Programme Handbook carefully on issues of submission, essay writing, referencing and plagiarism.
- ALL material that you use should be referenced appropriately. This includes any material borrowed from websites or corporate brochures. Information on referencing is available in your Programme Handbook.